PhD position in Alpine Quaternary Geology
The professorship of Sedimentary Geology and Quaternary Research of the Albert-Ludwigs-
Universität Freiburg offers a PhD position within the framework of the International
Continental Scientific Drilling Program’s (ICDP) project Drilling Overdeepened Valleys
(DOVE; www.dove-icdp.eu/). Goal of this study is the reconstruction of the erosion
and later infilling of two subglacial overdeepenings in the vicinity of Lake Constance,
Germany, in the context of the Early and Middle Pleistocene glaciations of the Alps.
Aufgaben und Einsatzfelder
- Curation and detailed description of drill cores
- Analysis of geotechnical properties of sediment samples
- Establishment of depositional chronologies by, among others, luminescence dating
- Interpretation of findings with respect to the regional geological history, and presentation at conferences and in scientific journals
Kenntnisse und Fähigkeiten
- Master’s degree in geosciences, physical geography, or comparable subject
- Basic knowledge and keen interest in sedimentary and Quaternary geology
- Productive style of working, motivation, and practical and original thinking
- Proficiency in communicating and writing in English, and ideally in German
- 75% part-time position, paid after TV-L (E13), for a period of three years with project start envisaged in (early) summer 2023
- Open-minded and diverse professional environment at the Institute of Earth and Environmental Sciences in Freiburg
- Integration into an experienced working group with state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and international collaborations
- Comprehensive training with good prospects in sedimentary geology, geotechnics and geochronology
If interested, send your application (including a CV, degree certificate, and two reference
letters) by March 31st 2023 to Dr. Lukas Gegg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please do not hesitate to get in touch if questions arise.