Scientist (m/f/d) in Isotope Forensics and Curator (m/f/d)
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At the eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from almost 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international level. At the site in Dresden, the capital of Saxony, the Senckenberg Natural History Collections are located in a historic city with a wide range of cultural activities and excellent research collaborations. Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in Earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg fosters curiosity-driven as well as application-oriented collections-based research.
At the Senckenberg Collections of Natural History Dresden, we are seeking to fill the position by 01. January 2023 of a
Scientist (m/f/d) in Isotope Forensics and Curator (m/f/d) of the mineralogical collection
(E13, 100%, tenure track)
with a focus on isotope geochemistry and isotope analysis via LA-ICP-MS.
Aufgaben und Einsatzfelder
We are looking for innovative and internationally recognized candidates (m/f/d) with an excellent track record in either isotope geology, isotope fingerprinting of geological and (paleo-) biological proxy materials, geochronology or provenance analysis of sedimentary deposits to complement existing expertise within the radiogenic isotope laboratory at the Senckenberg Collections of Natural History Dresden.
As part of an EU-funded infrastructure project we are currently expanding the existing LA-ICP-MS geochronology facility by three new mass spectrometers including a single collector ICP-MS, a multicollector ICP-MS and quadrupole ICP-MS equipped with different laser ablation systems.
The position is associated with curation of the well-maintained and historically important mineralogy collection.
The selected candidate (m/f/d) will develop a highly published and externally funded research program that includes curatorial responsibilities at the Senckenberg Collections of Natural History Dresden and supervision of students, post-doctoral researchers and technical staff (m/f/d).
Kenntnisse und Fähigkeiten
- Doctoral degree in Earth sciences or a related field
- Experience in in-situ analysis of geological and (paleo-) biological materials such as e.g. minerals, fossils, teeth, shells using LA-ICP-MS
- Proven research record in isotope geology documented by international peer-review publications and a vision for developing LA-ICP-MS applications to broaden our understanding of geologic and (paleo-) biologic proxy materials
- Experience or proven aptitude in curation and management of mineralogical and/or geological collections will be an asset
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; willingness to learn German
What is awaiting you?
- A vibrant, international team of scientists with collections-based research programs
- Excellent infrastructures and collaboration opportunities, e.g. in geochronology, petrography, palaeobotany, paleozoology, stable isotope geochemistry within Senckenberg and partnering institutions.
- The tenure track process adheres to the Senckenberg performance indicators and a meritbased career and promotion policy with the prospect of permanent employment.
- Opportunities to participate in teaching and outreach activities, e.g. in the Senckenberg museums.
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service (TV-L) and depending on the expertise of the applicant.
- Flexible working hours –annual special payment –company pension scheme –30 days annual leave –discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Dresden area -strong support for work-life balance (certified by “audit berufundfamilie”)
- Life in the vibrant, internationally-minded city of Dresden (population 500.000), a hub for innovation and culture
Scope of employment: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Type of contract: Initially limited for a period of 3 years (tenure track)
The position can be filled by 01. January 2023
Senckenberg aims to increase the proportion of women. Qualified female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Senckenberg is certified by the "audit berufundfamilie". Compliance with the guidelines for the severely disabled and the provisions of the law on part-time work is ensured.
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references, PDFs of 3 most important publications, letter of motivation and future visions for research and collections (max. 3 pages), mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref.#07-22004) before 31.07.2022 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Ulf Linnemann, email@example.com phone: +49 351 795841 4403.
Or visit our Homepage: www.senckenberg.de